Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Yo-Yo Quilt Update

I don't think I ever mentioned the full name of the quilt or the designer. Let me fix that. It is Welcome Wagon Yo-Yo Quilt by Kim Diehl from her book, Simple Graces. I can't find her website. 
There are a lot of websites that carry her books and patterns. 
This how the quilt looks like in the book. I found this picture on the web, I tried taking a picture from the book but you couldn't see the whole quilt. 

When I am working on a quilt I frequently design it 
in Electric Quilt software for designing quilts. 
Originally I had visions of a purple border like the one below. 


Then I thought maybe lighter would work. I usually prefer
 a darker resting border with a darker binding. 


When I looked at the book again and saw the red border, 
it started to grow on me. 


Just as I was sewing the last row on I notice a mistake in the last three blocks on the last two rows. If you look hard enough you can see it. It is supposed to be light to dark triangles and I have light to light and dark to dark instead. 
And yes it would have bugged me if I hadn't fixed it. 



On April 25th all the rows were connected and the center was constructed and I started previewing fabric I had in my stash. None of my stash fabric is big enough to do the job, so I have to wait until the quilt shop is open again to buy my fabric. I won't buy it online because it is too hard to determine the color. 


Above are the two purple samples I have and then I found a red I really like. Let me say there aren't many reds I like. But I like this one below and the picture doesn't do it justice. 


Since I was dragging out fabric, I started looking for 12 fabrics to make the corner blocks. My room still hasn't recovered from that adventure. Here are the winners.


And these were the ones I had chosen but were eliminated 
as I found others I like better. 


Previewing the corner fabrics. I am happy with these. 


Previewing borders and corners together and yes it is on my floor. 


I can't decide I will just have to wait for my favorite quilt shop to open again. 

Happy Stitching!

No comments: