Friday, December 18, 2009

Holiday Recipe Apples Cranberries and Yams

Here is the last of my Holiday Recipes before it is baked.

This one I learned about when I was on the Dear Jane Quilt list in 2001. Andrea is the owner of the recipe and she shared it with the list. I'm no longer on the list and my Dear Jane is still not finished. I really like this one and I'm very glad I don't have a lot of competition for it, only Richard and I eat it. The kids don't but Krystal did try it this Thanksgiving.

Apples, Cranberries and Yams
4 Cups of fresh yams sliced thin and peeled
3 Cups of apples, Granny Smith are the best
1 Cup of fresh cranberries
1/4 Cup of granulated sugar
1/2 Cup of dark brown sugar
1 stick of butter
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 Cup of walnuts or pecans

Toss sugars and spices add the apples. Take 1/2 yams, place in a baking dish (9" X 13"). Put half of the apple mixture and half of the cranberries in the pan. Cut half of the butter in slices on top of the layer. Repeat. Sprinkle with the nuts.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.

You can cut the sugar and the butter and it still taste great.


Here it is after it was baked, I forgot the nuts when I first placed in the oven and add them for the last 5 minutes. They are better if added at the beginning. I don't think I should get a job as a food photographer.

2 comments:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

That sounds good. I like the touch of cranberries.

Mary said...

Barbara,
I hope you try it and enjoy it!!