Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Day 2009


Krystal was surprised by her Blue Horse and liked it. Exact quote, "It's cool". We hung it over her computer area so she can enjoy it. It must be hard for her not to be in her own home but some day they will be again. We had a humble Christmas this year and Richard was still not feeling very good. He asked me not to post his picture of him passing out the gifts. So I won't even though I did it last year. He doesnt look any different. I also think he is majorly disappointed because he had four days off and he was hoping to work on his Man Cave and wasn't able to. He is feeling better today and is off buy wood now to work on it.


I was very surprised by this darling gift ornament set I received from my good friend Karin in Buffalo, NY. It is a Cherished Friend Angle with a Noel Dove. The Angle is lovely.


So here is the French Toast Casserole, or what is left of it this morning. I forgot to take a picture yesterday. It was good and liked by all. I liked it a lot but I missed my egg casserole. With only 5 of us here for Christmas Breakfast two casseroles would have been too much. I think next year I'll half both recipes and have both.

FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

Hawaiian Bread (large loaf)
8 oz. cream cheese
2½ cups milk or half and half (I used H&H)
¼ cup maple syrup
8 eggs
6 T melted butter
13 X 9 greased baking dish

Cut bread loaf in half. Cut one half into cubes leaving the other half aside. Place cubes into greased casserole dish.

Cube cream cheese and place on top of bread in casserole dish. Cube remaining bread and place on top of this.

Beat eggs, melted butter, milk and maple syrup in blender or with whisk. Pour on top of casserole ingredients. Smooth down with spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator overnight.

Next AM remove plastic wrap. Bake casserole at 325 degrees for 35-45 minutes until top is golden brown. Serve with warmed maple syrup.

I couldn't find the bread this year and I used rolls and they worked fine. I also cooked for an extra 10 minutes, until no soggy bread was left. We had bacon and sausage with it. It was very good.

After breakfast and gifts the kids scattered to see their mother and Krystal's family. Richard spent the day resting and watching a Bones Marathon. I spent the day making another mini quilt, it only needs four more whiskers embroidered on and it will be done. I had a goal to finish it last night but I just was too tired by 10 PM to finish it. I'll post a picture when it is finished. It is turning out very nice.

No comments: