Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Get RR Done #4

Well this project is really #3 and it was due last week.  It isn't done.  I was working on it last week when I realized I didn't have enough of my main fabric.  It is a Crafty class, called Pattern Free Quilt Design.  I was opening it would help me be a little freer with design.  No such luck, it actually made me a little crazy.  I made six blocks and I was like how do you cut it any size you want. I finally had to come up with a plan, cut one 2.5" another 3.5" and another 4.5".  I think I even made one 5".  That is the size of the coordinating fabric strips.  
Than I ran out of fabric.  I followed the instructions which weren't very clear, and very vague. I purchased my one yard of each fabric.  I am sure there would have been and easier way to cut the fabric and have the same results. 
So I finally drafted the quilt in EQ7 and changed it around and I am much happier.  I just need a little plan to the quilt.  The quilt is supposed to be 6 x 6 block layout but since I ran out of fabric, I decided to make it a 5 x 7 block layout.  Than I only needed end strips for 8 blocks instead of 9 blocks.
I went to the Get RR Done group and asked a couple of my friends what they would do.  I had enough scraps to piece four more edges, but I would still be short four edges.  Try to find a fabric that matched or bring in another color.  Of course the fabric I had is gone, since I purchased it three years ago. 
So I found a fabric that we all liked. 
I came home, cut some fabric and did some sewing. 

This is what I came up with. 

 It just doesn't thrill me. I actually don't like it.  The gray just sticks out and looks out of place.  Like oops I made a mistake. 

This is my second arrangement and I like this one a little better. 

I do have 8 strips of the dark pink and lots of the white with words, I just might make some strips of that and replace the gray.  The picture of the class sample had some blocks like that, so it might work.  So stay tune for updates.

I did find a nice dark raspberry for a resting border and binding and I have enough of the white with words on it for a small border. 

I was going to make this for Little Bit but my nephew's girlfriend had a baby girl so I thought I would give it to them. 

The next project due is the borders on the Dear Jane Quilt.  

No comments: