Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holiday Recipe Cranberry Mousse


This recipe was a favorite of my friend Roise, I ate it at her house for many a Thanksgiving and Christmas starting in 1985. Rosie was a single mom and I was a single gal when we meet. All her kids call me Aunt Mary and her home was always just like home to me. The kids can tell you stories of me falling asleep on the couch and snoring. We both found good men to marry and we still stay in touch. I just don't see her for Holidays any more. About 2005 she moved out of the Valley of the Sun up to Pine Top.
This year I finally asked her for the recipe and made it. It is very good. Roise has more style then I so she chilled it in a jello mold and turn it out unto a plate and it looks lovely. I don't have a jello mold, so I just severed it in one of my glass baking dishes. Yes I had already sampled it before I severed dinner. It is that good.

Ingredients
1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 medium granny smith apple diced (I left the peel on)

Directions
In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Drain pineapple, setting the pineapple aside and adding juice to gelatin. Stir in cranberry sauce, lemon juice, peel and nutmeg. Chill until mixture thickens. Fold in sour cream, pineapple, apple and pecans. Pour into a glass serving bowl or an oiled 9-cup mold. Chill until set, at least 2 hours. Yield: 16-20 servings.

I made mine the day before.

No comments: