Sunday, November 22, 2009

I Amazed Myself...


...with the dumb thing I did. I just had to ask myself what was I thinking and the only answer I can come up with is I wasn't. I went to one of my favorite quilt shops, Cutting Edge Quilt Works to purchase the backing for my Dear Jane Christmas Swap Quilt. Of course I took the quilt with me to show off. I found some backing I liked and it was even extra wide backing fabric. I was so excited I won't have to piece the back and I'll have some left over for a small project. So instead of pulling out my piece of paper with the finished quilt dimensions on it. I laid my quilt top on top of the fabric and cut a width about 6 inches wider. I thought that was easy, I cut my fabric, paid for it and went home. Once home I added two more borders to my quilt top. Do you see the problem now?
So today when I did my very scientific measurements. I held the backing up to the quilt top to see how much bigger it was you can imagine my surprise when I realized it was smaller. I measured the quilt top and the backing which was smaller than the quilt by an inch. You guessed it I ended up piecing the back.
It gets better. I loaded the backing on to the frame and I went to find batting, I could have sworn I had some batting here big enough to use for this quilt. Nope I don't. I could piece some but I'm not big into piecing backing. I might try it another day but not today. With what I had here it would have had two seams in it or one long seam right close to the border seam on the quilt. Neither of those options seemed like a good idea, especially considering my luck so far today I decided against it.
I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world that has done that, but I might be the only one mentioning it on her blog and admitting it. Not one of my brighter moments in my quilting career. I would never let a student do that. Oh well, just a small delay. It is now just waiting on the frame to be loaded tomorrow.



So I took a nap instead. After dinner I did sandwich and start quilting the applique horse for my daughter in law, it's her Christmas gift. I finished all the stitch in the ditch around the borders. I know I'm going to do some meandering in the center and on the outer border but not sure what else I'll do in the pieced border.

Well I guess I better head to bed, of course with that hour nap this afternoon, I'm not sleepy now but boy was I earlier.

Well take care and if I don't drop in again before Thanksgiving have a great one.

No comments: